Saturday, February 17, 2007

New Years Cupcakes




Made these for new years. French vanilla-cinnamon cupcakes with vanilla bc. I sprinkled each cupcake with luster dust (edible glitter) and used my the silver dragees I got for Christmas (thanks Amy, Tyler and Tyler's parents!) to decorate. I also made the 07's out of candy melts.

Did you know it's nearly impossible to find silver dragees in the the US? What gives? Apparently the US doesn't care for these edible balls of silver, something to do with mercury poisoning. Several states banned them years ago citing that they were "dangerous to our health." Though you would probably have to consume hundreds of them at once to actually do any harm. Today they are made completely mercury free and yet they are still hard to find here in the US. When you do find them, they are SUPER expensive. Lucky for me I have friends whose parents bring them from Canada. They have bulk bins there!

No comments: