Sunday, May 6, 2007

Camo cake



This was a fun cake to make. The little boy this cake was for is really into army stuff so they requested a camoflauge cake with military decorations on top. They asked me if I would put some plastic-type toys on top of the cake but I convinced them to let me make some decorations of my own.

The cake is chocolate with vanilla buttercream. The army hat is made from half of one Rylee's little foam balls she's got lying around here, covered in a gum paste/fondant mixture. The "top secret" envelope and the dog tags were also made from the gum paste/fondant mixture. The dog tags were painted with silver luster dust and the necklace part of it was put together with edible silver dragees.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome of this cake. It was slightly time consuming, with the different colors and the method of placing them on one at a time and flattening it all out with a fondant smoother -- but definitely worth the effort.

I just love using the dragees wherever I can. Seriously, I actually LOOK for different ways to use them. Using them as the necklace on this cake was perfect!