Friday, February 1, 2008

Wii Cake

Made this cake for my youngest brother who turned 14 yesterday. He's a big gamer and really loves his Wii so I thought this cake would be appropriate. He didn't know what kind of cake I was making him so it was a surprise when he saw it!

This is a banana flavored cake with toasted coconuts and pecans mixed in (and vanilla buttercream). The cake was carved to resemble a Wii console and the "Wii-Mote" was molded out of Rice Krispy treats and covered in fondant.

I had a lot of fun making the details for the Wii-Mote. All of the buttons were made from fondant - I painted on the details with a toothpick. The "A" button was made with gelatin that I poured into an icing tip that I had turned upside down. I wanted the "A" to look like it does on the actual remote (and not just made with fondant) and I thought gelatin would work perfectly! Turns out I was right!

Overall I'm pleased with this cake. I know it would have looked better if I had done the entire cake in fondant but we're really not fondant people around here so I try to use it as little as possible. I'm pretty happy with it though and my family thought it was pretty neat!

Happy Birthday Matt!



6 comments:

kelly said...

this is awesome! I think i will have to do one of these for a friend of ours.... i think yours is better than Martha's!

Steph said...

Martha did a Wii cake? Where is it?

Thanks so much! You are too sweet. It was actually a lot of fun to make and pretty easy too. The details on the remote took the longest!

kelly said...

oh my heavens! you actually made this? that is incredible. i am so impressed! you should go into business!

Steph said...

thanks kelly! hopefully someday (sooner than later) we will have a commercial bakery!

Stephanie Nikolopoulos said...

This is awesome!! I saw that you're vegetarian. Did you use a vegetarian version of gelatin and marshmallows (for the rice krispie treats?)? Any tips on vegetarian brands for that stuff?

Gina said...

What an awesome cake! Good job, I'm really impressed. Love the A button!